Civic engagement powered by the most comprehensive election data in the UK.
Voting Information APIs
We collect and standardise election data including seats, polling stations, candidates and more; everything you need to get your users informed and voting. This information is endorsed and used by the Electoral Commission and powers many other organisations.
For individuals who want to prototype new tools
Pay what you can
Up to 1,000 requests a day
Self serveGet started
For small teams who want to build election services
£3,500 plus VAT per scheduled election
Up to 10,000 requests a day
4 hours technical integration support
Covers all by-elections and other polls for a yearGet started
For companies who want a fully scalable service
Technical integration support
Real time technical support
Bespoke fieldsGet started
Voting Information API Features and Documentation
The following types of information are available on the Voting Information API. See full documentation.
- Elections covered
- District, County, and Unitary councils (including the City of London Corporation and Isles of Scilly Council)
- Directly elected mayors (Local Authority and Combined Authority)
- Police and Crime Commissioners
- London Assembly and Mayor of London
- Northern Ireland Assembly
- Scottish Parliament
- Senedd Cymru/Welsh Parliament
- UK Parliament
- National and Local Authority-wide referendums
- Ward/division/constituency information: name, total seats, number of seats contested, link to boundary legislation; geographical groupings (UK nation or English region)
Profile data (where collected)
- Social media profiles
- Email addresses
- Statements to voters
- Favourite biscuits
- Election Leaflets
- Year of birth
- Nomination data
- Polling Places
- Polling place address
- Polling Place latitude and longitude (where provided by the local authority)
- Latitude and longitude of the postcode centroid
- Address disambiguation (split postcodes) - if there are two polling stations in a postcode, we send you to the right place.
- Hustings (experimental field)
- We have the capacity to collect and publish information about hustings events - please get in touch if this is something you are interested in.
- Special Notifications
- When there are special notifications in specific elections, additional information will be provided. Examples include:
- Notifications of cancelled or postponed elections
- Voting pilots (eg. advance voting)
- Rapid updates if polling stations change near to or during polling day
We got you
We will make sure your service doesn't break during the election, even if you get more users than you expected.
Looking for something simpler?
Using the API is quite involved. If you are looking for a lightweight solution to empower your users to find their voting information, we recommend looking at the Election Widget. It's free to use and can be embedded on any web page, without a developer, in seconds. If you would like a custom election widget - you should get in touch, we might be able to help.
Where does this data come from?
Democratic data is published in a decentralised way across the UK. We work alongside every council in the UK to aggregate, standardise and publish it. Our volunteer community comes together every election to help us collect and clean the data, and then we make it widely available so that get-out-the-vote campaigns can work their magic.
In some cases the state does not provide nationwide data on vital pieces of the puzzle, one example of this is election candidates. But everyone — from individual voters to journalists and campaigners — wants this information. So we created the crowdsourced database of UK election candidates called CandidatesWiki to help gather it.